Caramelized Onion Dip is a savory and flavorful appetizer that combines the rich sweetness of caramelized onions with creamy, tangy ingredients. This delicious dip is perfect for parties, gatherings, or as a tasty snack. Here's a simple recipe to make your own Caramelized Onion Dip in just five easy steps.
– 2 large onions, thinly sliced– 2 tablespoons butter– 1 tablespoon olive oil– 1 cup sour cream– 1/2 cup mayonnaise– 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce– 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard– Salt and pepper to taste– Chopped fresh chives for garnish (optional)
– In a large skillet, heat the butter and olive oil over medium-low heat.– Add the thinly sliced onions and cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until they become golden brown and caramelized. This process may take about 20-30 minutes.
– Once the onions are caramelized, remove them from the heat and let them cool to room temperature. This step ensures that the heat won't affect the consistency of the dairy-based ingredients.
– In a mixing bowl, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, and Dijon mustard. Mix well until all the ingredients are evenly incorporated.
– Gently fold in the cooled caramelized onions into the creamy base. Make sure to distribute the onions evenly to ensure a balanced flavor throughout the dip.
In the same blender add the roughly chopped tomatoes. No need to blanch the tomatoes before blending.
– Season the dip with salt and pepper to taste. You can also add additional Worcestershire sauce or Dijon mustard if desired.– Optionally, garnish the Caramelized Onion Dip with chopped fresh chives for a burst of color and added freshness.