6 Major Benefits of Walking: We keep hearing, “you need to exercise,” but we may not know how. We know exercise is healthy for us, but how do we start? One easy way to exercise is to walk. Just that easy! Walking is an activity most everyone can do and has several health benefits if done regularly! Read on for six research-backed walking perks!
1. Weight Loss
In a 12-week research, sedentary people who did 3,000 additional steps each day lost nearly 3 pounds. Their waist size and resting heart rate also decreased, reducing their heart workload.
2. Improves Heart Health
Walking 30 minutes a day, five days a week, reduces coronary heart disease risk by 19%.2Walking reduces your heart attack risk considerably!
3. Decreases Risk of Type 2 Diabetes
Brisk walking 30 minutes a day, five days a week reduced type 2 diabetes risk by 30%.3Walking 15 minutes after breakfast, lunch, and dinner improved 24-hour blood sugar control in diabetic senior people.4We can regulate our blood sugar!
4. Protects Joints from Osteoarthritis & May Improve Arthritis Pain
Walk to lubricate hips and knees and strengthen surrounding muscles. Walking 5 to 6 miles a week may prevent or reduce arthritis discomfort.
5. Decreases Your Chance of Getting Sick and Helps You Recover from Illness
Moderate-pace walking for 30–45 minutes a day reduced ill days and upper respiratory tract infections by 43% in adults. If unwell, their symptoms were reduced.
6. Boosts Your Mood
Depression, anxiety, and moodiness can be reduced by walking. Increased self-esteem and reduced social withdrawal are also benefits. You’ll be surprised how much you love walking and hooked quickly!
How to Start
- Use a pedometer or fitness watch to track your daily steps. Purchase them at your local department store or download a free phone app.
- Start slowly, but aim for 7,500 steps/day.
- At least five days a week, walk 30 minutes briskly. No need to set aside 30 minutes if you’re busy! Divide your walks into sessions. Walk for 10 minutes three times a day.
- Try to move every 20 minutes. Moving bodies stay moving! Get up during TV commercials and walk down the hall and back.
- Park farther away when shopping to walk more. This will make you more active, which should flow into your regular life.
- Walk to the farthest bathroom from your residence when utilizing it.